Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Poem 18: Letter Poem

Dear Admissions Director,

It’s been exactly five months and 17 days since the third & final Dream Showcase. That feels so odd for me to say. But yet, honestly, so relieving. It by far was and still is one of the most struggling but mesmerizing learning experiences I’ve had the privilege to embark on.  The thing is, for me, three years later, it still quite hasn’t hit me that it was accomplished. A few days ago, I sat in the same classroom that I sat in three years ago when the inspiration for the Dream Showcase was implanted into my head. That’s an experience that not many understand, and something that actually took a lot of maturing on my part before I fully understood.  It made me truly recognize the importance of creating what you love. It’s simply not a cliché, creating what you love is more of a responsibility. Having something come from your heart and soul and allowing those around you a glimpse into your mind is beyond humbling, but also quite terrifying.

I would not be speaking the truth if I were to say that in the years of making the Dream Showcase, everything was easy. For those closest to me, they saw the emotional, physical, and mental toll that it took on me.  Now, never will I complain because I knew exactly what I signed up for when I decided to bring this idea to life.  An idea is only as good as its execution, so of course, the struggle is apart of the reward. From day one, at the age of 15, I told myself: If I ever forget why I started doing this in the first place, I’ll stop. I never wanted to lose perspective and just be in the routine of doing the showcase every year without understanding the reason I created this in the first place. To me, the Dream Showcase was my child. I birthed it, nurtured it, watched it grow up…. but, I also watched it rebel and go against me, as a teenage child would to a parent. Which is why my understanding  of not only myself, but those around me from when I was 15 to now, at 18, is so much more open-minded. My artistry has become one of my most valued characteristics. I appreciate the fact that I can “cut a piece of my heart out” and share it with others, whether it is with a piece I choreograph, a project I manage, or a concept I create.

I have learned that our goal as artists is to make people feel something. Our goal also as artists, is to allow our art to teach us something. It always goes beyond just being talented. Which is why the Dream Showcase was so important. It brought together so many people of different art forms & backgrounds to provide others a glimpse into our daily lives of constantly improving at what we do. It taught me that it is about the journey, not so much the destination. While others might label us as the lost and hopeless generation, I’d like to think otherwise. It was an honor to be able to share the stage with so many insanely talented artists at all three showcases.  It taught me the how crucial it was to never compromise yourself as an artist and as an individual.  The full process couldn’t be put in words. The memories, both good and bad, are what shape me.  And as much as the Dream Showcase is responsible for happening because I created it, it would not have happened if it was not for those who supported, contributed, and participated. I feel that having the extraordinary privilege to attend your school will allow my mind to grow all over again because the best way to teach is to constantly continue learning. And by me closing this chapter of my life (graduating high school & leaving Alabama) and embarking on a new one (moving back home to New York, attending college, & entering adult hood), I can sit here as a confident & grateful woman and know the journey that awaits me will be just as life-altering.

Sincerely,

Aimara Rodriguez



No comments:

Post a Comment